[AT] Climbing on and off of our old tractors

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:03:26 PST 2009

Well, it got a little embarrassing today. I was going to put the
little Allis C in the barn and was going to have Diana pull start it
since it has such a weak starter. It has been weak ever since we got
it many years ago. I may have to break down and buy one but I think I
will try replacing the field first. It has been serviced so many times
over the years I have probably about worn the bolts out. :-) It is
also bad about losing ground.
I love that little Allis and once in the seat it is quite comfortable
but mount / dismount has always been pretty hard. The old friend who
bought it new died at around 85 or so and I always joked that he might
have made 100 if it were not for climbing on and off (especially off)
of that C. The only way I have ever been able to get off of it is to
pull my feet back so both feet are on the axles just in font of the
seat, grab the wheel and hoist my self upright standing on the axles.
A little awkward but not a serious problem. Not until today... I had
some trouble getting into the seat due to my #$%& knee but made it OK.
Then I had to get off to do something. Er, uh, I need to get off...
Somebody get me off of this thing!!
I tried all sorts of silly things including scooting around and trying
to get my leg over the fender. Not going to happen... I was sitting
there thinking about it and Diana was watching me wallowing around,
trying her best to keep a straight face. It crossed my mind to have
her bring the loader tractor over with a chain hanging down from the
bucket so I could pull myself up on it. Finally I just forced my heels
back on top of the axle amidst a great deal of cussing and ouching,
grabbed the wheel and jerked myself up. I'm sitting in the house right
now waiting for those pills to take hold... I think I will wait for
Son Scott to get home tomorrow and have him put it in the barn.
I have written here often about what a poor job many manufacturers did
in the old days about operator comfort and convenience.
I have watched at shows and auctions for several years now looking
specifically at which models are easy to mount /dismount. Using my
Fergie TO-20 is really easy compared to that Allis. I always thought
that it was a little sad that our old friend didn't get what he wanted
at the time he bought his new tractor (1946). He had been looking at
the Ford N's and came to our house and drove ours (ours had add-on
running boards) and he loved it. At the last minute his two grown sons
talked him into buying the Allis C instead telling him that the Allis
would do anything that the 9N would do (they didn't have a clue) and
it was much much cheaper. He always regretted that he listened to
them... Yes, the Allis C is a nice little tractor and I love having it
(and so did he) but he soon learned what it would not do. It would not
pull a 2 bottom 14" plow nor would it pull a tandam disk that cut 8'
across the back. He had to use a 1 bottom plow and a smaller disk and
it was a bear to mount / dismount. It also didn't have a lift of any
kind except for a tiny cylinder for the mid-mount sickle mower. Then
later my father bought a little 3 point "utility box" (carry all type
unit) that was manufactured by a friend in the implement business. it
was like a little truck bed with stake sides and was as handy as a
third hand. When he saw us using that on the three point he was
disappointed all over again. He had one of those rough ground farms
where it was important to raise critters and he could see a hundred
applications where he could have used one of them. It was quite nice
since you could lower it to the ground and load it then back it up to
a truck or dock and unload. I still have it here but the wood is shot.
I hope to restore it an have it at Portland next year.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"