[Farmall] 1946 farmall M top gear problem

Justin Weber jweber77 at charter.net
Sun May 31 08:58:31 PDT 2009

Jumping out of 5th can be caused by several things:

Broken detent spring
worn detent ball
worn shifter
worn shifter rail
bad input shaft bearings
bad mainshaft bearings
bad input shaft
bad main shaft
bad 4th & 5th slider..

Just alot of variables that need to be looked at, and basically the
transmission cover needs to be removed to begin to determine what is
wrong.  I've been thru several H & M transmissions, and if the gears and
shafts are good, it is best to replace the main shaft and input shaft
bearings, detent balls & springs, and the gear shift swivel shafts while
it is down.