[AT] OT. Grasshopper mower

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Sun May 24 18:56:39 PDT 2009

The recommendation in the manual is for the high dollar Grasshopper fluid.
Ordered one quart without asking the price, nearly $25.00.  The bottle has
no information to identify it other than synthetic. This machine has no hour
meter or service history so no idea when it was changed. The new oil is a
light amber color unlike what is in the hydrostatic drive units now. I am
beginning to think since oil change is only needed at 500 hour intervals, I
might just go with the Grasshopper oil.

H. L.

On 5/24/2009 7:59:36 PM, Larry Goss (rlgoss at insightbb.com) wrote: > If it's
direct drive, then it's a newer unit than I was thinking. You > might want
to try Hy-Tran. As you said -- oil recommendations are all > over the map
for hydrostatic units. > > I'm about 500 miles from home for the next few
days, so I don't have > immediate access to my normal sources -- but when I
get time next week, > I'll check with the Grasshopper dealer I used to work
for and find out what is recommended. Have you checked on-line for an owner
s > manual? > > Larry > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "H. L.
Staples" <hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com> > Date: Sunday, May 24, 2009 19:06 >
Subject: Re: [AT] OT. Grasshopper mower > To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com >
> > Hi Larry thanks for the come back. This grasshopper has direct > > drive
to the > > wheels two nearly exactly the same except L R. These units are >
> belt driven > > from the front flywheel side of the engine. The mower is
driven > > from the > > normal PTO with a shaft to the U-joint shaft to the
mower deck. > > I think I > > read somewhere that the fluid should be
changed at something > > like five > > hundred hours . > > > >
Recommendations for service oil is all over the place some units using > >
straight or multi-weight engine oil, regular and synthetic > > depending on
the > > manufacturer. > > > > I have been told that the Grasshopper people
did build the Woods > > units at > > one time. > > > > The oil in the drive
units now looks like the multi-weight JT-8 > > engine oil > > that I use in
my diesel tractor. > > > > I have some 10-40 Amsoil synthetic that I may use
 I > > recently read that BS > > recommends the artificial oils in some of
their engines. > > > > Any and all ideas considered. > > > > Thanks > > > >
H. L. > > > > > > > > On 5/24/2009 4:32:13 PM, Larry Goss (rlgoss at in
H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA