[AT] 98 Dodge 3500

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat May 23 05:07:56 PDT 2009

This is a long story but worth reading, especially for you Kevin.  It might
help you figure this thing out.

My old pickup (89 GMC) got to running bad when it was maybe 6 or 7 years
old.  It would spit, sputter and backfire but only when the cruise control
was on.  Well you know the solution to that, I stopped using cruise control.
Not because I wanted to, I just couldn't find the problem.  Eventually it
got to where it ran terribly all the time.   The problem went on for close
to 2 years (maybe longer than that) getting progressively worse until
finally it was nearly undrivable nearly all the time.

I studied every manual I could find and checked every component I could find
the specs to check and couldn't find the problem.  Finally I went to a Chevy
dealer in a nearby town.  I knew the folks (now out of business).  It was a
small family owned outfit.  I was able to talk them into letting me go in
the shop with the mechanic.  I proceeded to tell him everything I had
checked.  I asked him to check the cruise control module.  I couldn't do
that because the data for it is not in any of the aftermarket manuals.  I
knew my problem initially had something to do with the cruise.  I needed the
factory manual to check it.

He listened to me but then politely said to let him do his checks first.  He
proceeded to re-check everything I had checked and didn't find it.  Then he
decided to replace electronic box in the distributor.  That didn't work so
he took the new one off and put my old one back in.  Finally he went and
pulled the data for the cruise control.

There is a ground wire on that truck that goes to ground on one of the
thermostat housing studs.  He checked the resistance on that ground and it
was out of spec.  He took a 9/16 wrench and turned the stud about a quarter
turn and the problem went away.

Here's what happened as he and I were able to recreate it.   I remembered
that not long before the problem started I had changed the thermostat.  The
ground wire is double nutted on the stud in the thermostat housing, the wire
is just long enough and it's kind of hard to get the stud tight in the block
and then get the double nut tight on the ground wire without pulling the
gound wire apart.
I had gotten the double nuts tight on the ground wire but unknown to me the
stud was about 1/4 turn loose in the intake.  It was not leaking but enough
antifreeze had seeped into the connection to screw up the ground.  The
problem didn't start immediately after I changed the thermostat and once it
did start it took it a couple of years to get to the point  of having to fix
it.  Before that it had been intermittent and to begin with only when the
cruise control was engaged.  Since there was no visable leak on the stud and
I didn't have the manual with the Cruise control specs I had no reason to
check that stud.  The ground wire was as tight on the stud as it could be.
The problem was the stud being loose in the intake.

I spent well over a year.  I think more than 2 years looking for that
problem and fixed it with a 1/4 turn of a wrench.  Kevin if you are still
reading, my point is that your problem is probably something just as small
and hard to find.  That is why someone dumped the truck.  They couldn't find
the problem and gave up.  If I had just, for some odd reason, decided to
change my thermostat again my problem would have gone away and I might have
never known what fixed it.

Charlie Hill