[AT] All smoke, but no fire

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Mon May 4 12:08:13 PDT 2009

My dad always answered those 'what do you want to do when you grow up' quesstions in school with 'i want to change spark plugs in diesel engines.'  I wish I had thought of that answer...  (or at least heard his before I was out of school).

Glow plugs are a good first check.  Then the battery (if the engine is worn even a new battery may not be enough, try a jump).   If you have intelligent help a pull start is better than the jump, but I wouldn't trust a lot of people.

Fuel can go bad.  White smoke indicates something is getting into the cylinders.  However is it enough?  Fuel filters are the first to plug if you have bad fuel, if you replace the fuel you need to replace the filter.