[AT] OT--Farm Truck brakes

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun May 31 16:37:08 PDT 2009

John Hall wrote:
>  I have a problem with the brakes on my F-600 Ford grain truck. I have had
> the truck for a about a year but have never put it on the road. We have been
> making some odd and end repairs to get it roadworthy. The guy I bought it
> from had tags on it through 2007. He put a master cylinder on it some time
> back. I noticed an empty can of brake fluid in the floorboard when I bought
> it. While using it around the farm last summer we needed to add some brake
> fluid. Then this winter while sitting under the shed untouched for a few
> months, all the fluid disappeared from the master cylinder. We refilled it
> but had no brakes. Parked it to work on another day. When we went to get it
> to take to the shop, we had full pedal/brakes and the master cylinder was
> still full. I have looked on every wheel and cannot find a leak (didn't pull
> the wheels--with this much fluid missing it should be easy to find). We also
> pulled the vacuum line of the booster to see if it was leaking into it and
> burring the fluid--dry. Don't see anything leaking from the master cylinder
> either.  What is the chance that when the guy changed the master cylinder he
> got a huge air block in the line and was able to drive the truck for a
> couple years and not know it--and then it finally worked its way out sitting
> under the shed? If that is not a possibility, then where could all this
> fluid be going?
>
> John Hall

John,
 Well it is possible that is what happened BUT I doubt it. What you
probably have is a leaking wheel cylinder that leaked, then rusted up
around it and the fluid drew in enough water to cause the cylinder to
lock up from the rust.
I would pull the wheels, clean the brakes and check them. Brakes are one
item I do NOT play with. They either work or the vehicle gets parked
until I get them repaired.

--
Steve Williams