[AT] OT--Farm Truck brakes

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 31 06:19:19 PDT 2009

 I have a problem with the brakes on my F-600 Ford grain truck. I have had
the truck for a about a year but have never put it on the road. We have been
making some odd and end repairs to get it roadworthy. The guy I bought it
from had tags on it through 2007. He put a master cylinder on it some time
back. I noticed an empty can of brake fluid in the floorboard when I bought
it. While using it around the farm last summer we needed to add some brake
fluid. Then this winter while sitting under the shed untouched for a few
months, all the fluid disappeared from the master cylinder. We refilled it
but had no brakes. Parked it to work on another day. When we went to get it
to take to the shop, we had full pedal/brakes and the master cylinder was
still full. I have looked on every wheel and cannot find a leak (didn't pull
the wheels--with this much fluid missing it should be easy to find). We also
pulled the vacuum line of the booster to see if it was leaking into it and
burring the fluid--dry. Don't see anything leaking from the master cylinder
either.  What is the chance that when the guy changed the master cylinder he
got a huge air block in the line and was able to drive the truck for a
couple years and not know it--and then it finally worked its way out sitting
under the shed? If that is not a possibility, then where could all this
fluid be going?

John Hall