[Ford-ferguson] Ferguson Live PTO

cwi813 at mchsi.com cwi813 at mchsi.com
Sat May 30 16:33:48 PDT 2009

My 1941 Ford-Ferguson 9N has the first factory-installed 3-point hitch made for a tractor (Ford) and the hitch was made by Ferguson. As I understand it the patent for it was held jointly by Ford and Ferguson. A short while later, Ford decided he'd just use Ferguson's 3-point hitch and wouldn't call the joint design anything but "Ford."  That made Ferguson mad, so he left the partnership.

My PTO (factory installed) can be turned on and off by a lever just to the left (and under) the driver's seat. When the lever is pushed all the way forward to the front of the tractor, the PTO is turned off. When the same lever is pushed toward the rear of the tractor, it is engaged. You can be stopped or moving and still choose what you want the PTO to do. I like that aspect.

The Service Manual I've talked about has exploded diagrams on all parts of the Ford tractor as well as the Ferguson 3-point hitch, if you want to see how it's done.

My comments may not have anything to do with what you're talking about, though. I have one tractor and it's my first, but I've got all pieces memorized - down to the part number. :O) I'm not an expert on any of yours.  -  Cynthia