[Farmall] Antifreeze in Oil

ebony51 at frontiernet.net ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Tue May 26 08:57:56 PDT 2009

John,  Thanks very much.

Larry

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Gustafson" <gustafsonjohnc at wildblue.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:19:21 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [Farmall] Antifreeze in Oil

Obviously there are a bunch of possibilities.  If you trace it down to a
head gasket, and you don't find a crack  I would strongly suggest that you
have a machine shop take at least a skim cut across the head. I had one a
few years back,  a grey market diesel tractor, that did that when it sat up.
Dealer replaced the head gasket. Didn't fix it, so I finally went after it
myself. Even went to the trouble of making a test plate to pressure test
block and head integrity. There was some pitting in the head over one
cylinder so I suspected gasket but two machine shops said it was fine.
Finally, I said, do a skim cut just to see.  Sez he "don't need it"  Sez me
"My 75 bucks. do it anyway." 2 days later, I get a call, it's ready and an
admission that yeah it was needed. One small area between the cylinders was
low.  Engine has been rock solid ever since.

With the wet sleeves, there is an obvious possibility. They do make a tracer
dye that can be put into the coolant and oil for that matter.  Then you can
pick  up the leak point with a black light. Highly useful when you are
looking for leaks in a black hole coved with oil and sludge.
You might try pressurizing the coolant system slightly  and see where that
leads while looking under the block.

In any case, looks like you have a teardown on your hands, good luck.

Skaning