[AT] 98 Dodge 3500

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu May 21 08:39:40 PDT 2009

Kevin,
    When was the last time it was tuned up? What do the plugs look
like? do they tell you anything about what's going on? You just got
it, right? Maybe it needs a tuneup or it got one that wasn't done
quite right. Could it be a bad set of wires or a marginal coil?

Next, what happens when the vehicle goes into gear? Does the engine
and driveline torque sideways at all? (thinking maybe a ground wire to
the engine is loose or broken). Is it possible the fuel pressure is
marginal and the increased load causes the pump to not be able to keep
up? Plugged fuel filter, bad fuel pump come to mind. And vacuum
leaks... have you used a propane torch to check for leaks? And check
the EGR and PCV valves.

Just thinking out loud. Don't know what all you've tried so far.

Ken in AZ