[AT] OT Electric trailer brakes

Dick Day ddss at telebeep.com
Wed May 20 19:01:32 PDT 2009

Weird that this thread appears now...

I just had the local trailer company install a 6-pin connector on my Nav and
it seemed to work fine... during the day when I tested it.

We went down to Missouri Sunday and brought back a '49 M180 Huber (the
seller said it was an M120). Once it got dark (still about 70 miles from
home), I noticed that the brake controller had turned orange, like the
brakes were being applied. Also, the right turn signal stopped working
(stayed on solid).  I finally figured out that if I unplugged the trailer,
the turn signal worked.  Then I realized that we only had problems when the
headlights were on!

The good news is that the brakes got hot enough to smell but they never
caught fire.  I eventually had to disconnect the brake controller and travel
70 miles with no trailer brakes.

The trailer place will have to fix that mess tomorrow :)

Dick