[Farmall] F-12 carb kits

Karl Olmstead kolmstead4 at msn.com
Wed May 20 20:14:53 PDT 2009

Just thought I'd warn my friends.  The Valu-Bilt carb kit  for the A-10 IHC carburetor used on the F-12 offered by various vendors including the Fordson House, Central Tractor (back when it was in operation) and others, has a few problems.  Part number is 2253-020.  Last time I talked with Rice Equipment, they didn't offer a kit, just parts, and this may be why.

The gasket set is OK, as is the float needle and seat.  The problem is with the replacement throttle shaft.  There's simply no way that the part provided in the kit can be used in an A-10 carburetor.  The idle adjustment screw and the full throttle stop will not engage the ear provided on the replacement throttle shaft.

After I discovered the problem, I emailed Skip at Fordson House, and he got back to me within hours.  He said that the IHC part is not available.  What wears out on the throttle shaft is the actual shaft, which passes through the carburetor and supports the throttle butterfly.

Both the original IHC part and the Valu-Bilt replacement throttle shaft are assemblies, held together with a pressed-in pin.  What Skip does is press out the pin, and replace the original IHC throttle shaft with the VB unit.  Unfortunately the pin orientation is different, so you have to put the new assembly in your carburetor, run the throttle to full open, align the outside portion of the throttle shaft with the full throttle stop in the carb, mark the shaft, and drill a new pin hole.

In other words, it's a real pain, but at present, it is the only way to obtain a new throttle shaft.  I feel really lucky that when I tore down ten A-10s recently, I didn't throw out the old throttle shafts.  Turns out, I need them!

I did rebuild an A-10 last weekend, and the O-12 I put it in runs flawlessly.  Couldn't ask for more.  But the tractor still won't start by hand crank.  Lights off in less than twenty feet of pull.  In fact, I set up a short ramp to start it, and that works fine.

-Karl