[AT] Virus check

Dick Day ddss at telebeep.com
Sun Mar 29 19:03:19 PDT 2009

No problem. I just stumbled across this, so now I don't know who to believe
:) .....

The Canadians say we are okay.

"Cornflicker"

ewaynecollier- 03/28/2009 01:42:03 PM
'Dangerous' computer worm no cause for alarm, experts say

By Vito Pilieci , The Ottawa Citizen March 27, 2009Comments (1)

OTTAWA - Take a deep breath and relax: the "Cornflicker" worm - the computer
virus you've been warned about this week - is not that big a deal, say
Internet security experts.

"The sky is definitely not falling," said Dean Turner, Director, Global
Intelligence Network Symantec Security Response. "Some folks who have been
talking about it have misinterpreted some of the technical details . but, we
should definitely be aware of this."

Newspapers, TV networks and websites have been reporting that the Conflicker
worm could cause tremendous damage to computers around the world when it
updates itself on April 1.

It has caught the attention of computer security experts for its
technological brilliance and has even forced industry wide collaboration to
address the threat, dubbed the Conficker Working Group.

But tools are now in place to remove the worm from any personal computer
system, vulnerabilities have been plugged and the worm has stopped
propagating itself, say experts.

In short, there is little need to worry that the Internet's virtual
Armageddon is upon us.

There are three versions of the worm and only one, which has infected the
fewest systems, has the April 1 update code.

The first version of the worm, 'Dangerous' computer worm no cause for alarm,