[AT] Spam> Re: OT--taped audio to CD audio??

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 29 16:30:40 PDT 2009

There are standards available for digital archiving from the two organizations for librarian archivists.  You might want to check those out.  One of the groups is terribly behind the technology curve and is dragging its feet at generating gudelines we can work with, but the other one recognizes that we have to think beyond the concept of locked cabinets, controlled atmospheres in libraries, and white gloves.  If you don't find instructions for how to preserve "born digital" materials or how to meet the problems of media migration, then look elsewhere.

If you can find a copy of it, read "Mastering Internet Video" by Damien Stolarz (Addison-Wesley).  It is an excellent source on the problems, development, and history, of storage and delivery of archival materials.  The title is a misnomer.  It discusses much more than Internet and Video.

On some materials, I'm into second generation media migration.  The old home movies were converted to analog video tape many years ago, but this winter I put them all on DVD.

Larry