[AT] cordless tool battery rebuilding

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 06:23:27 PDT 2009

The industry-standard cell size in battery packs is not C, it is
something called a "Sub-C".  Sub-C is about 0.9" diameter and about
1-5/8" tall, where a full C is about 1.0" diameter and about 2" tall.
If you don't have a C cell in front of you for size reference, it's
pretty easy to mistake a Sub-C for a C.

Another key difference is button-top.  Consumer cells (in sizes like
AA, C, D, etc) will have button tops on the (+).  They are intended as
direct replacement for alkaline cells.  The Sub-C do NOT have
button-top, just flats on both ends, intended for soldering tabs onto.
 Also, you can purchase Sub-C cells that already have tabs soldered
onto them, which makes your life even easier if your goal is to do
your own rebuild.

A couple outfits off the top of my head -

www.batterystation.com
www.batteryjunction.com

Have fun,
SO