[AT] stuck plugs

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 19 18:51:41 PDT 2009

Just when you thing you have seen everything...

We had a Farmall Super A in the shop doing some various repairs for the
owner. It was skipping so we decided to change plugs. Should have taken 10
minutes except none of them would move. One of them was gotten out with an
air wrench, another was twisted into just below the hex and the others had
the hex rounded off. To make a long story short we had to pull the head and
heat them to get them out. One of which I had to use a 3/4 drive impact
wrench on even after heating it twice with the torch. The plugs were a
mismatched set and I think a couple of them used tapered seats instead of
metal washers. We also think the tractor had been leaking water into the
combustion chambers and causing rust. It also appears this head came from a
different tractor since its paint job didn't match the rest of the
tractor--so no telling what its story is. This is one of those jobs where
you are glad are paid by the hour, not by the job!

John Hall