[AT] Sap is rising/ bluestone

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 16 09:22:13 PDT 2009

Seems to me copper sulfate is what we used to call "bluestone"? Dad used to
buy it in bags and we'd use it to treat poplar pickets for fencing.
Cut the green pickets , peel off the bark, sharpen them and set them in a
concrete pit made for this purpose. Filled with water and a good amount
of the bluestone powder mixed into the water. After a few days you could see
the blueish or green tinge working it's way up the pickets as they
absorbed the water. Didn't always work perfect but when it did work , a good
bluestone treated picket would outlast a store bought pressure
treated picket by years.

Ralph in Sask.