[AT] OT- Fish Kill

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 15 13:53:23 PDT 2009

We had to put grass carp in the pond here as well as add some sort of blue
dye to block the sunlight from causing vegetation in the shallow areas. We
never used to have that problem until we switched to no-till. Without the
soil run-off to keep the water dingy, we developed the vegetation problem.

I have seen folks aerate ponds with a pump just blowing  the water up into
the air over the pond. There is one near me that does it often during the
summer.

I would assume you haven't been using any pesticides or fertilizers that may
have contaminated the pond with run-off have you?

I would think a call to your ag extension office would help--at least let
you know if others in your area are having similar problems.

John