[AT] Scary wind damage.

Phil Vorwerk - UCU Inc pvorwerk at newulmtel.net
Sat Mar 14 06:27:06 PDT 2009

Those of you that have been on the list a while may remember back about 10
years ago when we had all the storm damage in southern Minnesota.  At the
end of March a pretty good sized tornado touched down for over 40 miles,
wiping out Comfrey, damaging farms, then finally passing through St Peter
and causing a great deal of damage there.  That prompted me to visit my
insurance agent to make sure the building that housed our business (7500 SF,
2 story commercial building) was sufficiently insured.  (we did up the
coverage quite a bit.)  In July of that same year we had "straight line
winds" that went over 110 mph.  The winds blew a large garage door off its
tracks on the lower level of our building, which pressurized the building,
lifting the bar joists off the rear wall and folding the entire roof in half
on top of itself.  All hvac, plumbing, electrical etc was strung through the
bar joists, so it basically totaled the building.  We rode that out in the
middle of the day in the compressor room.  When I opened the door to let
everyone out of the compressor room I could see daylight coming down the
stairwell.  Not a good sign.

Anyway, St. Peter got hit by those winds pretty hard also, but the weather
service said that what we experienced was not a tornado, but simply straight
line winds.  They can still do a ton of damage.

Phil
Courtland, MN