[AT] Sap is rising/good news and bad

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Mar 13 13:51:47 PDT 2009

Bruce we don't have any sugar maples this far south unfortunately.  Sugar
down here is made from cane.  My father and his brothers and sisters used to
tell the story about the time when grandpa and all of them had cut the years
cane crop and had just finished cooking it down to syrup.  They had all of
the syrup in two wood kegs in the kitchen off the back of the old shotgun
house.  Someone came to visit and grandpa told my Aunt Mary to go draw so
and so a jar of that "cane".   The syrup was still hot and when she went to
turn the tap in the keg it broke out.  The syrup was so hot she couldn't put
the plug in and the whole keg of "cane" ran out in the kitchen floor.  They
said the only ones that enjoyed cleaning it up were the dogs.

Charlie