[AT] Spam> My Trailer made sparks

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 20:12:18 PST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

> ...  Every spring I pull and repack the bearings.  I also inspect
> and adjust the brakes.

Well, that makes sense to me.

>  So far no
> problems.  This year I do plan to replace the bearings on at least
> one axle,
> it seems to need adjustment several times this last summer.
>
>> I'm told that if a bearing overheats an axle it
>> can cost you a grand to get it right again.
>
> Sounds way too high.  I was thinking I had a bent axle so checked into
> getting a new one.  The cost was less than $100.

I have not crawled under this trailer (yet) to see what's involved in
changing an axle, and I hope I don't have to.  It may be that the
Bison axles are hard to find.  In any case,  if I do preventive
checking of the bearings, I'm unlikely to ever need to get a new axle.

Howard Weeks mentioned the  Bearing Buddies.  I see that they cost
from $20 to maybe $35 each axle.. seems like a VERY fine thing to
have.  ... I"m sure I have a second grease gun to dedicate to the job.
Odd thing is that the bearing that failed had no cap on it, though it
had plenty of grease in the bearing, the thing failed and let the
wheel tilt.

>  ...  I seem to remember "tighten up snug then back off one flat".
>
> I like to take them down fairly tight while rotating the wheel.
> When it
> stops spinning freely I back off then take the nut back down finger
> tight
> then back off only enough to fit the Cotter Pin.

That's about what I'd have done without any advice in advance.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.