[AT] Spam> My Trailer made sparks

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 19:18:25 PST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Henry Miller wrote:

> I have a prodigy controller which is good.  Make sure whichever one
> you buy has some way to sense how much brake you have applied.

Henry,

Thanks for the advice and information. I did read about the two kinds
of controllers: the "ramp up the braking with a delay" type and the
ones which sense the amount of braking being done and sort of matching
it.  The web site I read said the latter kind has been more expensive
but nowadays the price gap is much smaller.  For an extra couple of
tens or 20's, I'll be glad to get what works best.  I did not know
about the cable on the pedal arrangement.  Seems like a bit of trouble
could come from a wandering foot.

>  When you buy it get the cable that connects to your truck if you
> can.  I don't know what year your truck is, but most trucks have a
> connector under the dash

That is what I have.. I have a Ford '04 F250.  The thing does have the
under dash connector.  In fact most of the adapter cable is still
there.. just cut off at the controller!

> ...   You pay far too much for the connector, but what can you do.

Not much.. but having to not lie on the deck of the truck with my
crimp tool is a benefit!

The fellow who's fixing the trailer says he stocks a small variety of
controllers and we can put one in when I go to pick up the trailer.

> Poor brakes are the only thing I won't accept from a vehicle.

Indeed!  I've driven Volvo cars since 1069, and their brakes have
always been a bit above average.  I will be maintaining this Ford
F-250 and the trailer on a retirement income, so I am likely to learn
how to change brake pads on the truck and shoes on the trailer myself
to save some money.

> ... If the brakes aren't perfect it isn't driveable.  (I want the
> rest perfect, but it often isn't worth it)

That makes sense.  Not many of us can afford to have everything just
right!

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net