[AT] Spam> My Trailer made sparks

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 20:34:11 PST 2009

> Howard Weeks mentioned the  Bearing Buddies.  I see that they cost
> from $20 to maybe $35 each axle.. seems like a VERY fine thing to
> have.  ... I"m sure I have a second grease gun to dedicate to the job.

My son gave me a set but I have not installed them.  They are really
important on boat trailers where the whole axle gets submerged.  Forcing
grease in can force water out.  My trailer axles have rubber caps in the
center of the bearing caps.  A couple have split so I bought four new ones.

> Odd thing is that the bearing that failed had no cap on it, though it
> had plenty of grease in the bearing, the thing failed and let the
> wheel tilt.

That should have been an indication.  The exposed bearing that close to the
road would get a lot of dirt.  It does not matter how much grease you have
if it is contaminated with dirt.

Don Bowen  KI6DIU