[AT] : Re: Good tractor day

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Wed Mar 4 07:52:52 PST 2009

    Farmer;
    I have been taking advantage of the cold mornings by cutting firewood.
Have access to neighbor's woods behind me to cut downed trees for wood. Been
cutting a little along all winter to get by as the snow would allow, The
snow all melted 2 weeks ago during the warm spell we had in February. Now
the last week of freezing nights has made the ground solid enough to be able
to get back to cutting. Have a good selection of red and black oak and ash
and hickory cut and hauled to my woods waiting to be split when the ground
dries up. Now have a pile about 8 feet high, 12feet wide and 15 feet long
redy for the splitter. Been using the little Case V and my homemade dump
trailer to haul it out. Both the tractor and trailer are very narrow, so
real handy getting through the woods. Can haul about 3/4 cord on each load
and have 9 loads on the pile, plus about 4 loads I have hauled to the barn.
Should be in good shape for next year.
    Unfortunately, the hydraulic on the tractor has gotten so weak that it
won't dump the trailer any longer so I have to unload it by hand, the same
way I load it. The exercise has gotten me into pretty good shape and no
cabin fever.

                Gene

-
The weather is finally breaking here and I'm kind of chomping at the
bit to get some things done. For all of the global warming it seems to
these old bones that this winter has been really bitter. Lots and lots
of wind. I was moving the last of the round bales last week to sell
them to a regular hay customer and a couple for our horses and I got a
few moved and the cold wind just got to be too much. I stopped and
waited a day for less wind. It "might" hit 50 today and possibly mid
60's in a few days. That sure beats that 10 with high winds a few
nights ago.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com