[AT] Post Hole Digger

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 30 09:34:26 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sloane" <mikesloane at verizon.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Post Hole Digger

> They flop around and never go where you want them to, unless they are
> mounted on the tractor. > Old post hole diggers are cheap for a reason -
> they usually need parts
> that cannot be found.
>
> Finally: next to sickle bar mowers and corn pickers, post hole diggers
> are about the most frequent sources of injury to operators.

I'd agree with that Mike. Although the one that I used when working for a
neighbour years ago was a smaller version and could be handled fairly easily
by one person. But you definitely needed someone to sit on the tractor and
control the pto lever as the auger was not self supporting. I had to stand
over it holding the two handles keeping out of the way of the rotating input
shaft from the pto and the auger turning down below the gear box. It was no
place to wear loose clothing or be gazing at the scenery. And when that
auger hit a rock, even with the tractor at idling speed, it shook your liver
out almost. This one I believe was a Robin, and it was pretty light duty.
The auger shaft eventually twisted off and it went "out of service".
Probably a good thing.

Ralph in Sask.