[AT] Post Hole Digger

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 05:24:10 PDT 2009

> The problem is that they'll fold up in unexpected ways, and he
> happened to be grabbing it at a place where two separate parts of the
> machine come together when it folds.

> Good luck, and be careful.
>
> Steve O.

That sentence is a very good description Steve... One of mine is an
old Ford/Danhauser that we bought back about 1954. Its a blood-thirsty
thing... Seriously over built with complex linkages and as you say
prone to fold unpredictably. Lots of pinch points.
-
On an added note, I would love to find the old magazine article I
saved and made a point of showing to an inexperienced neighbor when he
bought a new auger. A magazine reporter was interviewing a young
farmer and taking pictures of him as he worked. The reporter was using
a camera in what I would call "machine gun" mode. Snap, snap, snap,
snap,,, one frame after another for a whole series of shots. Someone
else was sitting on the tractor and the subject was at the rear side
of the digger holding onto the side of the digger. During mid shoot
his T-shirt flapped out in the breeze and caught in the PTO shaft. He
was very lucky, The shirt just ripped off of him. He was in mid
sentence and in one shot his shirt was already completely off of him
and wrapped around the shaft but he was still talking and was not
aware yet of what had happened. In the next frame his expression was
changing to one of shock.
Just a reminder of how fast things happen. Machines are out to get you
and you can't let your guard down for a minute. It really compounds
fast when you do something stupid and lets face it, we all do
something stupid now and then especially if we are always busy.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"