[AT] red belly/ fergy

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 29 05:51:16 PDT 2009

Farmer, if anyone knows about what a tractor means to somebody, it's me. Every old tractor me or my family owns is there because it tugs the heartstrings in some way.  I'm not putting down anyone that chooses to own/collect the Fords or Fergusons. I'm not putting the tractors themselves down either. However, like your machines, my old tractors not only occupy a place in my collection, they must earn their keep too.  In terms of what we use a tractor of this general size for, a red belly or fergie would be borderline useless.  Just not enough brawn.  Also, even with the hard steering and delapidated seat of our 424, I personally find it more comfortable to operate than the Ford/Ferg.  May just be because I am used to it.

Another example of what I am talking about is the Farmall Cub.  Now, I love Cub's.  I have one I wouldn't part with for anything.  Like the Ford/Ferguson, there's a mystique about them.  But in terms of work, you're limited in a lot of ways with what you can do with one--wrong size/direction PTO shaft, proprietary hitch, etc.  And like the Ford/Ferguson, they, at least in my area, are grossly overpriced.  You should be able to buy a fine Cub with some goodies all day long for less than $1000, but that is certainly not the case.

My overall point is, if someone is needing a tractor about the physical size of the N-series or MF, and they have a wide variety of tasks to perform, they are not limited to the Ford/Fergie.  Now if they want an 8N or a TO-whatever, that's their perogative and their choice should be celebrated.

Finally, I'm in the younger age bracket, so to me a 1020 JD, 404 or 424 IH, etc. would fall into the "old/collectable" category--all being late '60s vintage-- and, at least I think, are perfectly appropriate to discuss here. :)

Al