[AT] red belly/ fergy

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 04:44:49 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Al Jones<farmallsupera at earthlink.net> wrote:
> True, they are a few years newer.  But you can buy the IH or JD for about
> the same price as a ferguson or a ford--that was the point, you can spend
> the same money on something that is the same physical size as a Nseries or
> a Ferguson, is a little newer, will use about the same sized implements
> (don't think a redbelly will pull three plows--but the IH or the JD will)
> yet will work rings and rings around them.  Plus, the IH or the JD are not
> nearly as crude.
>
> I don't have anything against them per se, but they're pretty over-valued
> in today's market for what they are capable of.
>
> PS The 200 series Masseys were very popular here but they are just an
> updated MF 35. Pull off the sheetmetal, and they're the same tractor
> underneath.  My dad looked at buying a new 285 in the early '80s. Thank
> goodness he went with a 2940 JD instead.  The 2940 was sort of a "budget"
> tractor for JD, but it was head and shoulders above the 285.
>
> Al

I agree that there are a lot of very highly over-priced N Fords and
TO's out there but if you look around there are also a lot of decent
ones at decent prices. I paid $1600 for my TO-20 with two bush-hogs
and a grader blade. It has proven itself a solid, good running little
tractor. Quite frankly the models you mention don't interest me at
all. Neither do the brand new ones which is the next logical step in
the progression to what you suggest. As long as a tractor will do the
job I need to do I don't really care if it will do more or not. I am
an old tractor collector... I don't consider those tractors
collectible... I may be wrong but I sort of thought appreciating the
old stuff was why Spencer started this list???
-
There is another factor here too. With a little minor fixing up and a
nice coat of paint my old 1949 TO-20 will be worth at least a third
more than what I will have in it. Even if all I do is maintain it, it
will increase in value slightly. If I bought a nice brand new tractor
today (and they are nice) in a years time it will go down in value
"substantially".
-
The biggest point your missing here though is the reason most of us
buy these old beast and labor on them is that in most cases they mean
a lot to us.
In my case I grew up on a 9-N, 8-N's, TO-20, NAA (Jubilee) etc. etc. I
have a lot of other old tractors around here of all colors and I love
them all as old tractors but even though I have used some of them for
30 or 40 years I didn't grow up with them.
-
I sort of thought that was what this list was supposed to be about,
not whether the newer stuff was more capable or not... Of course it
is.
-
I guess I was wrong...

--