[AJD] Craigslist Find, 1937 B

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 22:35:47 PDT 2009

Photo Album Link:
http://public.fotki.com/jdnut/john-deere-equipment/bs/1937-b/

   I replied to an ad with no pictures for a 1937 John Deere B.  The seller stated she was listing it for her mother..  Picture to come later, send your phone number and my dad will call you..  I sent my number, expecting to never hear anything like so many other vague craigslist ads.

    About a week later I get a call.  The B is still for sale.  Motor turns,  tires are bad. Has not run in 4-5 years.

    It took me a few more weeks to actually get over and see it.  What I found is a 1937B with round spoked rear wheels, solid fronts.  All tires are bad.  Motor turns, has compression.  No spark.  has a power lift with baker valve added to the back.  Seller also has parts,  extra DLTX-10 carb, missing the float.  Extra head,  looks to be rebuilt.  Extra sediment bowl and 2 3-way valves, all used.  Gaskets, flat back cover that was removed to install the lift. Extra PTO shaft.  misc. spark plugs 3 parts manuals, operators manual, I & T manual.

    It turns the people I bought it from are the daughter and son in law of the original owner.  It came from Sand Hills,  Nebraska...

   How quickly could I say I'll take it....

   I picked it up tonight.  He had a boom truck to load it on the trailer that made a very quick job of it.

    When I got it home I had to play a little.  The mag came off. New cap, points, rotor later we had spark.  Engine would fire on startig fluid. Fuel system will need some tinkering tomorrow to get the old gas out and I bet it will drive off the trailer..

    If anyone has a line on a good set of 9 - 36 tires and tubes I want to be your new best friend!

                   Chris