[AT] Sickle Mower Question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 05:55:04 PDT 2009

If you go to
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tools__equipment/rivettoolforsickleb.html>
you can see the tool that I use for dealing with sickle bar sections.
The nice things about it are that 1. you can use it without removing the
  whole bar, 2. it removes the old rivets easily and cleanly, 3. and it
does an excellent job of setting the new rivets very quickly.

I managed to hit a metal fence post with the end of my IH 100 mower a
few days ago, and it took only a couple of minute to remove the remains
of the broken section and rivet on a new one. Of course, I have had a
lot of practice over the years. :-(

When I use the IH 22 mower on my '48 Farmall Cub, I keep the belt a
little bit looser than recommended - if I encounter an obstruction, the
belt slips, stalling the bar and saving the expense and effort of
replacing the Pitman arm.

As far as the cutting, I agree with others that you should keep the
ground speed down when cutting weeds and trash, but you should keep the
PTO speed up in order to prevent the mower clogging.

One note, Dick: the sickle bar mower is one of the most dangerous
implements you can own. If you have to leave the seat of the tractor for
ANY reason while you are mowing, it is a good idea to not only disengage
the PTO, but shut down the tractor. Those mowers can cut off a finger
just as quickly as they can chop down a 1" sapling. One particularly bad
time is when you are manually raising or lowering the bar - it can move
just enough to cut whatever is in the way. I treat the bar very, very
cautiously. And, of course, keep children and other small animals far
away from the machine.

Mike