[AT] mowers - ztr vs tractor style

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Tue Jun 9 06:46:38 PDT 2009

The other thing you may want to do is prepare yourself for sticker
shock! Unless you've been looking through the papers and looking at
dealers lots you might have a bit of surprise. But being most of us
on here appreciate a well built piece of equipment or tool you'll
soon see there is a difference between the commercial grade machine
and the homeowner series.

I bought an Exmark (Toro is the parent company) demonstrator with the
Kohler Command 20HP and 52" deck with ~30 hrs for just under $6K.
That was as good a price as I could find. I wanted a 60" with the
25HP but couldn't justify the additional $2 -3K above that price.

As others mentioned see what the commercial mowers in your area are
using and talk to them. In fact, if you're not set on a brand new one
you may be able to pick up one of theirs at a good price at the end
of the season. Many of them trade regularly and while the machine
will have a fair amount of hours, a quality machine used personally
will still last a long time. I know a friend who bought one from the
local mowing contractor at the end of the season that way.

My next door neighbor picked up a used CC homeowner version cheap
because it wouldn't run (forget what minor problem it wound up
being). While my machine probably cost 3x the CC new it didn't take
more than a casual glance to see that mine probably had 3x the steel
in it. I hope the one I bought is the last one I need to buy.

Brad