[AJD] Bad tractor day - 1950 AR

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Mon Jun 8 21:29:12 PDT 2009

Sounds like the crankcase filled with fuel, diluting and "building" the oil.
Double check the carb

Greg

NOW!! CHECK YOUR PART #'S AT WWW.JOETRAKTOR.COM!

WE ARE NO LONGER ON THE JOHN DEERE PARTS LOCATOR

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
1-866-381-8703 FAX everything looked okay there.  The oil had a smell of gas so I
> changed it and put in fresh oil. Reinstalled the carb and did some
> rough adjusting a few days ago. Then after supper today I went out
> and started her up and adjusted some more. She seemed to be running
> pretty good and the smoke had almost stopped, just a little blue
> smoke coming out. After running for a few minutes and getting good
> and warm I decided to run her down the street. Put her in 5th gear
> and started down the driveway. Talk about blowing smoke!! Also lost a
> lot of power. She was still running well but there was no worry about
> mosquitoes in the neighborhood! Backed back up the drive and stopped.
> Oil was actually running out of the exhaust pipe connection from the
> manifold. There was also oil coming out of the exhaust pipe
> connection up under the hood which was being blown back by the fan
> all over the front of the engine. What a mess! I guess the best
> problem would be a broken ring but I'm not sure that that much oil
> could come from just bypassing the rings. Hopefully the block isn't
> cracked. Looks like another engine teardown is in my future! I really
> wanted to get this ol' girl cleaned up to go to some shows this
> summer. Bummer......
>
> At 10:21 PM 4/27/2009, you wrote:
> >Tommie,
> >
> >Charlie's advice is appropriate.  Need to get rid
> of those possible problems>first.
> >
> >Here is how I analyze the color of exhaust
> smoke:>
> >White = Condensation or water
> >Blue = Excess oil
> >Black = Excess gasoline
> >
> >Try getting the tractor warmed up with clean
> fuel. Getting the tractor>warmed up and worked a bit may cause all the
> other problems to go away. The>carburetor butterflies may be sticking too and
> may not just be a Governor>problem.
> >
> >Dean Van Peursem
> >Snohomish, WA 98290
> >
> >The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop
> digging>
antique-johndeere-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com>[antique-johndeere-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com]
On Behalf Of>CEE VILL
> >Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 6:56 PM
> >To: John Deere
> >Subject: Re: [AJD] 1950 AR Governor
> >

> >Tommy,
> >
> >Whiteish blue smoke is not typically
> "flooding up with gasoline" smoke. It>could come from a couple of other problems.
> Before worrying about those, I>suggest you drain the gas tank and carb and try
> some fresh fuel.  It sounds>like oil is mixed with your fuel.??
> >
> >Hope this helps.
> >
> >Charlie V.
> >
> > > Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:42:09
> -0400> > To: antique-johndeere at lists.antique-tractor.com> > From: t17wils
> on at comcast.net> > Subject: [AJD] 1950 AR Governor
> > >
> > > Hey Guys, if you remember, a couple years
> ago I restored an AR that> > had been sitting for over 30 years. I don't
> get a lot of time these> > days to play with my tractors and it seems
> like the governor has> > locked up on it. It will kick in just a
> little bit, but not very> > much. I think this is why it has very slow
> throttle response. Any> > suggestions on the best/easiest way to fix?
> It also seems to be> > flooding up after running for a while.
> After idling, when I throw the> > gas to it she blows out quite a bit of
> whiteish/blue smoke. Guess I> > need someone better than me to adjust on
> the carb!> >
> > > Tommy Wilson
> > > Warrenton, VA
> > > 1948 IH Cub