[AT] Case 380CK brakes

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 7 15:45:41 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen at earthlink.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 4:16 PM
Subject: [AT] Case 380CK brakes

>I will be redoing the brakes on a Case 380CK backhoe. >
>

> Is there any good way to get the seals over the splined shafts without
> destroying the seals?

I wonder if your Case has the same brake arrangement as the Cockshutts we
have here. For years mechanics looked for a means of installing new seals
over  the splines without stretching and damaging the new seals. Finally a
simple farm boy discovered that the spline shaft that the brake disks ride
on is actually removable with one big nut (or stud) recessed in the end of
the shaft. Once that splined section is removed it is no problem to place
the new seal on it and re-install the spline shaft.
The Cockshutt brakes were very similar to the disk brakes on the 730 Case.
In fact I think I bought Case linings and re-riveted them onto the Cockshutt
disks. The Case  spline was different from Cockshutt and would not match but
the linings were inter-changeable. They even had a handy riveting tool at
the Case dealers to use for attaching the new brake linings.

Ralph in Sask.