[AT] OT(?) Cub Cadet 1812 Hydro question

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 06:03:06 PDT 2009

Hi Steve:

THANKS for the inputs!  It's pretty interesting to hear the negative
comments from you and others about the ZTR's on slopes.

That reminds me... not long ago I uploaded a bunch of pictures to my
Picasa image-sharing site.  My neighbor Ed took a LARGE number of
pictures of your visit to pick up the MM:

http://picasaweb.google.com/soffiler/MinnieMo06?feat=directlink

These shots only provide glimpses of the piece of land I am mowing,
but better than nothing.  On the front-mower, that's frankly an option
I had not even considered previously.  My immediate plan is just to
get the Cub Cadet 1812 running (more on that in a second) and then see
how my wife likes it.  She is more than willing to pitch in with the
mowing chore, and that will save ME more time than any machine could.
If she doesn't like the CC for whatever reason, then we'll be shopping
rather seriously, and will look at the front mowers.

Update on the CC:  called Ken Updike and got the check-valve delivered
to my door quicker and for less money than the local CC dealer could
do.  Installed it, plus new hydro filter, and a fresh fill of Tractor
Supply's Hy-Tran equivalent.  Went to fire it up (it was running like
a champ just days ago, with hydro leak that is) and it would crank but
not fire.  I was pretty darn sure I had not gotten near the electrical
system (save the battery and solenoid) during my hydro repair, but
nonetheless I went back over EVERYTHING.  Then I started diagnosis and
found a bad magneto.  No relation to the hydro, of course, just a
total coincidence that it chose now to fail.  I'll be back on the
phone to Ken come Monday morning.  I'll be needing to mow within about
3-5 days so I should be able to get the CC out there in time.

Best regards,
Steve O.