[AT] Mowing tractor problems

Bruce Moden brucemoden at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 08:49:13 PDT 2009

Maybe this isn't about an antique tractor, or a modern Z-mower, but for many years I used a very old method of mowing on which I am willing to share some of my experience.
I used goats, mostly Nubian pygmy "nanny" goats, they make the best lawn mowers.  They eat grass, weeds, small tree shoots, etc, larger goats are more selective & leave some weeds & never use "billy" goats they are lazy lawn mowers, smelly, offensive animals- for the un-goat ed reader "billy" goats mark their territory similarly to all animals, except they will apply urine to their face & rub anything they wish to mark.  You will find when you leave the field you will smell like a goat herder!  You don't have to fence the area with the pygmy goats they do very well on a long light chain & harness, dog house & a supply of water & occasional grain, move them when the field is in order.  Important to keep them safe from big dogs (especially malamutes- they will kill goats for sport).
These little goats do a great job & are very little trouble.
Bruce