[AT] OT(?) Cub Cadet 1812 Hydro question

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Thu Jun 4 09:32:21 PDT 2009

Steve, after using our zero-turn Cub Cadet for several years my wife
and I wouldn't consider anything but a zero-turn machine--even if
they are a little more expensive!  We have to mow around a lot of
trees and other obstructions and this mower is effortless to steer
(two fingers) and about as fast as you'd ever want to go.  Still, I
wish we had purchased a Toro in stead of the MTD-made Cub
Cadet.  Look 'em over real close.  The concept is great but the
engineers that designed the overall Cub Cadet machine must have been
in a big hurry.  The Cub has a Briggs engine  :(  that has given
several fixable problems (fuel pump, magneto and carb adjustment that
I just can't seem to get right).  The Toro I saw has a Kohler
engine  :) .  The Cub tilt up seat won't stay up because it hits the
engine.  Three of the tires have gone flat because of poor rim
sealing (had to add sealer).  Not sure but I think the Toro has
bigger rear tires.  You have to take the vacuum fuel pump loose to
get the battery out.     .......but
zero-turn.....great!             John W.      My mower is a Cub Cadet RZT 17.