[AT] OT--Farm Truck brakes

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:55:00 PDT 2009

Dave you reminded me of a boom truck that belonged to a contractor I worked
for years ago.  It was an International cab and chassis.  The brakes were
vacuum over hydraulic.  They worked fine but there was one problem with them
that happened 3 or 4 times, maybe more.  It would be sitting on a
construction job running idle while they used the crane to lift materials.
All of a sudden you'd hear an explosion and find the brake booster blown to
bits.  Apparently it was somehow loading up with gasoline vapor and then
something would light it off.  We never did figure out why.  Obviously they
had to put a complete new booster on it everytime it happened.