[Farmall] Touch Control Oil for Cub

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 10:20:06 PDT 2009

The original hydraulic fluid recommended for the Cub was IH HyTran,
which is/was an excellent fluid and is still available from Case IH. On
the other hand, I have been using any number of similar fluids that have
the words "Equal to Case IH HyTran" somewhere on the container. I have
yet to have a hydraulic failure in any of my dozen IH tractors (or any
other) using either NAPA or New Holland tractor hydraulic fluid.

On the other hand, in a closed system like the Cub's, it is very unusual
to need to add fluid. The most common reason for loss of fluid is the
hardening of the O rings on the hydraulic pump drive shaft. This allows
hydraulic fluid to be forced past the rings and into the engine. The
first sign is usually engine oil that is lighter than usual and a level
that is rising. If you get the O rings replaced before the shaft is
damaged, it will cost you under a dollar. Once the shaft has been scored
by the dried-out O rings, you have little choice but to replace the
whole pump. See
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/leakinghydraulicpump.html>
for an image of the area of concern.

Mike