[AT] red belly/ fergy

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 3 14:42:16 PDT 2009

QUOTE: I may at times be prone to ramble on incessantly
> about some things I know well but when I do not know anything about
> something I hate to miss any opportunity to shut the hell up... :-)
> :-)   :-)

Farmer, I like that!  I try to stick to that policy as well........

Happy Independence Day...

Al

me. Every old tractor me or my family owns is there because it tugs the
heartstrings in some way.  I'm not putting down anyone that chooses to
own/collect the Fords or Fergusons. I'm not putting the tractors themselves
down either. However, like your machines, my old tractors not only occupy a
place in my collection, they must earn their keep too.  In terms of what we
use a tractor of this general size for, a red belly or fergie would be
borderline useless.  Just not enough brawn.  Also, even with the hard
steering and delapidated seat of our 424, I personally find it more
comfortable to operate than the Ford/Ferg.  May just be because I am used
to it.

> > Another example of what I am talking about is the Farmall Cub.  Now, I
love Cub's.  I have one I wouldn't part with for anything.  Like the
Ford/Ferguson, there's a mystique about them.  But in terms of work, you're
limited in a lot of ways with what you can do with one--wrong
size/direction PTO shaft, proprietary hitch, etc.  And like the
Ford/Ferguson, they, at least in my area, are grossly overpriced.  You
should be able to buy a fine Cub with some goodies all day long for less
than $1000, but that is certainly not the case.

> > My overall point is, if someone is needing a tractor about the physical
size of the N-series or MF, and they have a wide variety of tasks to
perform, they are not limited to the Ford/Fergie.  Now if they want an 8N
or a TO-whatever, that's their perogative and their choice should be
celebrated.

> > Finally, I'm in the younger age bracket, so to me a 1020 JD, 404 or 424
IH, etc. would fall into the "old/collectable" category--all being late
'60s vintage-- and, at least I think, are perfectly appropriate to discuss
here. :)