[Farmall] International A died (and I am baffled)

ebony51 at frontiernet.net ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Wed Jul 1 18:28:03 PDT 2009

Ivan,  I am not the best at explaining, but here is the url of an article of Yesterday's Tractors.  As the author noted, some diesel configurations connect the exciter wire through a diode the oil-pressure sending unit.  What that is what someone did for my Super C.  Essentially, I believe, it activate the alternator when it sense oil pressure when cranking the tractor and deactivate the alternator when the tractor shuts down and no oil pressure.  I am sure other on the list can answer your specific questions better than I can.

Larry

http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint178.htm

The author of it wrote:

The exciter field tap is the wire from the modular plug on the Delco alternator (marked #1). This wire lets you shut down the alternator when the motor is turned off. It is usually attached to the ignition switch where the wire goes to the hot side of the coil. You can also make this connection to the hot side of the coil if your coil has an internal resistor, or to the hot side of the resistor for external resistor configurations.

NOTE: some alternators back-feed power through the alternator and out the exciter wire. If your tractor does not shut off after you turn the key off, this is probably the cause and you will have to either install a diode in that line or find another spot to attach it. Some diesel configurations connect the exciter wire through a diode to the oil-pressure sending unit.