[AT] OT - AFFF Fire/now Canadian Border

Dan Folske dfolske at nccray.net
Fri Jul 31 18:52:34 PDT 2009

It used to be very easy to end up in Canada if you were hunting some of the
prairie trails. The first indication that you were in Sask. was the license
plates on the vehicles in the farmyard. I had a friend who lived about 20
yards from the border. If he turned right as he left his yard he came into
Portal, ND . If he turned left he pulled onto a Canadian highway and went to
Estevan, SK. Now they dug a ditch across his driveway. It's generaylly still
wide open but there are remote sensors all along so you might find yourself
surrounded by Border Patrol or RCMP vehicles before you realize you've
crossed the border.

A couple of friends used to work Customs & Immigration at Northgate. At 9:00
pm they would carry a couple of orange traffic cones out, set them in the
highway, shut the door and go home. Now htere is a new 2.5 million dollar
port building, gates, and remote cameras which can be viewed from Portal.