[AT] OT - AFFF Fire Foam Unit

Dan Folske dfolske at nccray.net
Wed Jul 29 19:13:36 PDT 2009

We have a CAF unit on one of our small trucks that sucks foam concentrate
from a 5 gallon bucket and injects it into the water stream along with
compressed air from a small engine driven compressor. Our main pumper
carries a siphon unit which can be put into a 1 1/2 inch line to suck
concentrate from a bucket and then you put a foam nozzle on the end of the
attack hose. The foam nozzle has vents which pull air into the water foam
mix creating the foam bubbles. The CAF unit adds a greater volume of air and
seems to provide a more uniform bubble size. Each additional trapped air
bubble is another layer of insulation. I don't recall offhand what we're
running for air pressure or volume but it is not extreme. I'll look tomorrow
if I get the chance.

None of the small departments around here use nitrogen. I would suspect that
the nitrogen might be better in some circumstances with volatile fuels and
confined spaces but for our use plain compressed air or natural aspiration
works fine.

Dan Folske
Assistant Fire Chief
Bowbells Volunteer Fire Department

There maybe a professional firefighter on the list that can provide you with
more details.