[AT] OT - AFFF Fire Foam Unit

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Wed Jul 29 16:29:34 PDT 2009

There used to be a few firefighters following ATIS, and I'm hoping
for some help with an equipment question.

I recently bought a skid-mounted fire control unit ridiculously cheap
at a municipal surplus auction.  It consists of a Halon portion and
an AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foams) portion using CAF (Compressed
Air Foam) technology.  I am only interested in the AFFF portion,
since we live in a high fire danger area backed up to the San Gabriel
Mountains in Southern CA.  If a wildfire heads our way, foaming down
the house and surrounding vegetation beforehand can increase our
chances of coming through OK.

The AFFF system is actuated from a large cylinder of high-pressure
nitrogen.  A fixed regulator reduces this high pressure to a constant
lower pressure.  I'm thinking about getting away from this dependency
and converting to compressed air.  The air supply hoses leading to
the pressurized foam solution tank are 200 PSI working pressure and
1/2" in size.  So based on this, my wild guess is that the needed
working pressure might be around 100 PSI and the air volume from 20
to 50 CFM, assuming the hoses were roughly sized to the air requirements.

Would anyone with experience have a more precise answer as to
pressure and air volume?

Whatever, that will take one BIG compressor.

Photo of the unit:

http://www.walkerpublications.com/tractors/FireFoam02.jpg

Thanks.

Richard