[AT] [Ford-ferguson] More 8N questions

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 03:38:05 PDT 2009

Dave Merchant wrote:
> Couple more questions about the 8N
>
> 1.      Oil pressure shows pegged at 50 psi, even after an oil change.
>          Bad gauge? Is there a relief valve (ball + spring)?
If my experience is any guide, it is probably a bad gauge.

> 2.      Want to get the calcium out + antifreeze in.
>          One valve stem is weeping.
>          I thought I heard that the calcium doesn't hurt grass, true/false?
It won't do too much damage if it is diluted by rain or the hose, but I
would avoid any concentrated amount.

>          I've heard of an exchange valve for this, does it work for
>          both loading + unloading the tires?
For unloading, I just remove the valve and let it run out. But, unless
you remove the tube and squeeze it, you will still have some sloshing
around in there forever. When I encountered unwanted calcium and leaking
valves in the past, I just "bit the bullet" and bought a new tube.
Probably over kill, but see
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/leftrearrim.html>
for an image of what leaking calcium chloride ballast can do to a rim
over time.

> May take it to the local show this weekend, if any of a couple hundred
> things don't go wrong.
Good Luck!