[Farmall] Oil for Cub Engine

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 13:11:30 PDT 2009

I've got a 1949 (Serial 82115) Cub that has problems with oil pressure
when starting it up if it hasn't run in a while.

I know I'm not alone in this, and am aware of the priming hole hidden
away behind the hydraulic lines where it's hard to get at.

So this afternoon I've taken the sump off and cleaned it out - not
tooooo bad for a 60 year old tractor I guess - and checked the suction
pipe - it wasn't absolutely tight - I could move it by hand from side
to side with only moderate force, but it certainly wasn't loose.

The bearings are loose - big ends can be moved up and down probably .
010 on the worst one - I don't have a dial gauge to measure with. But
I'm not inclined to be trying to fix this right now - that's a whole
'nother project I think, and the tractor gets only light occasional use.

So new gasket purchased from NAPA just now I'm ready to put it back
together.

What oil should I use in the engine? The book says SAE 30 above 80°F
SAE 20 for temps 32°F - 80 °F, and SAE 10 below 32°F.

Since I'm in Michigan should I use 10W-30 perhaps?

Thanks

Roger=