[AT] Show season

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 05:13:12 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Dean Vinson<dean at vinsonfarm.net> wrote:
> Went this afternoon to my first tractor show of the year, and had a good
> time.  The Darke County Steam Threshers Association show north of
> Greenville, Ohio, had a lot of interesting things going on:  steam tractor
> pulling a four-bottom John Deere plow, Farmall H and Allis WD working up
> what looked like a new pulling track, Minneapolis-Moline U and McCormick
> binder harvesting wheat, draft horses pulling the wagon carrying the bound
> wheat to the steam-tractor-driven Case thresher, lots of other steam
> tractors chuffing around or running Baker fans, a tractor parade (high-crop
> Allis D-19 really caught my attention, the only one I've ever seen), etc.
> Dave Laughead was driving a Farmall A in the parade.
>
> I was especially impressed with the stuff they'd organized to make it fun
> and interesting for kids:  after the threshing was done, they hid a bunch of
> candy and some money in the straw stack and then let the kids dive in and
> hunt for it.  And they had some tug-of-war games between a whole bunch of
> kids pulling against a half-scale live steam tractor.
>
> I posted a few photos at http://www.vinsonfarm.net/shows.html, mixed in with
> older photos from Portland and other shows.
>
> Hope to head back up to Greenville next weekend for the Farm Power of the
> Past show, and then over to Plain City the weekend after that for the Miami
> Valley Steam Threshers Association show.  Gotta love the summertime.
>
> Dean Vinson
> Dayton, Ohio
> www.vinsonfarm.net

Diana and I "hope" to make the Greenville show next weekend. Its a
nice show. There are a number of shows much closer to us but our Ohio
friends are not at those.  :-)
Today is pretty much predicted to be a wash-out here with a good
chance of storms all day and maybe 2 inches of rain.
We had wanted to make this years Cubfest at Grand Rapids OH but it
wasn't to be. I have a large stash of maternal ancestors buried there
just north across the river from Grand Rapids. Robinsons, (my parents
were both Robinsons) Minnicks, Millers etc. I first found their graves
when we were in the area attending George Willer's first Cubfest in
2003. Later I discovered that my gg-grandparents had once also lived
at Fremont OH during the 1860's just a couple of miles from where
George lives. Small world stuff. They didn't have any old tractors
though.   :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?
It will do you both good.