[AT] Show season

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Fri Jul 3 19:23:30 PDT 2009

Went this afternoon to my first tractor show of the year, and had a good
time.  The Darke County Steam Threshers Association show north of
Greenville, Ohio, had a lot of interesting things going on:  steam tractor
pulling a four-bottom John Deere plow, Farmall H and Allis WD working up
what looked like a new pulling track, Minneapolis-Moline U and McCormick
binder harvesting wheat, draft horses pulling the wagon carrying the bound
wheat to the steam-tractor-driven Case thresher, lots of other steam
tractors chuffing around or running Baker fans, a tractor parade (high-crop
Allis D-19 really caught my attention, the only one I've ever seen), etc.
Dave Laughead was driving a Farmall A in the parade.

I was especially impressed with the stuff they'd organized to make it fun
and interesting for kids:  after the threshing was done, they hid a bunch of
candy and some money in the straw stack and then let the kids dive in and
hunt for it.  And they had some tug-of-war games between a whole bunch of
kids pulling against a half-scale live steam tractor.

I posted a few photos at http://www.vinsonfarm.net/shows.html, mixed in with
older photos from Portland and other shows.

Hope to head back up to Greenville next weekend for the Farm Power of the
Past show, and then over to Plain City the weekend after that for the Miami
Valley Steam Threshers Association show.  Gotta love the summertime.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net