[AT] De-Rusting

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jul 1 15:00:14 PDT 2009

I agree with Steve W. The electrolytic system doesn't care about paint,
wood, rubber, etc. You can de-rust a hand saw with the wooden handle
still attached, and it will still come out clean with no damage to the
wood.

I use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) for an electrolyte, and that also helps
with the clean-up. It is available in almost anyplace they sell paint
(it is primarily sold for cleaning masonry - use gloves when handling
the solution, as it is pretty strong).

But it is still a good idea to do a little rough cleaning, just so you
can see where you are going. The trick is to use a big enough container,
provide enough power, and have anodes in the right place. I happen to
like stainless steel for anodes, but some claim that it gives off
poisonous fumes. Since I do all my electrolytic de-rusting outdoors,
that has not been a problem. Regular steel anodes are much less
efficient and also erode fairly quickly.

See <http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolysis.pdf> for more
information.

Here is my electrolytic system in action:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tools__equipment/derusting_tank1.html>

Mike