[AT] De-Rusting

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:17:17 PDT 2009

Sandblasting heavy caked rust requires a lot of pressure, a lot of large
grit blast media and a lot of time.  Meanwhile you are destroying the areas
around the heavy rust that have already come clean.  This is what we do on
structural steel with heavy caked rust.  It might not work on your stuff
without damage but it's worth a try.  Get  a BIG hammer.  On steel beams,
etc. we would use at least a 10 lb sledge and knock the crap out of it.
Hard enough to make it rattle.  A lot of the rust will pop off.  Of course
you would need to use a hammer small enough that it wouldn't bend, break or
deform your cultivator.

Charlie Hill