[Farmall] International A died (and I am baffled)

Andy Wander awander at verrex.com
Wed Jul 1 09:40:54 PDT 2009

Jim:

Surely you meant to write:

   12 volt ballast resistor required, wire from ignition switch to RESISTOR(NOT coil), another wire resistor to coil, third wire coil to distibutor.

Andy Wander
_______________________
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:29:51 -0500
From: "Jim Becker" <jim.becker at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Farmall] International A died (and I am baffled)

Larry,
>From anything I have seen, there are 3 varieties of ignition coils, each
should be labeled accordingly.
   6 volt - never uses a ballast resistor, wire from igniton switch straight
to coil, another wire coil to distibutor.
   12 volt no ballast resistor required, wired same as 6 volt.
   12 volt ballast resistor required, wire from ignition switch to coil,
another wire resistor to coil, third wire coil to distibutor.

Ballast resistors come in a variety of styles.  Any with only 2 electrical
terminals will work fine.  For tractor use, I see no particular advantage to
using a coil that requires an extenal ballast.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net

This communication including any attachments, are intended
for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and contains
confidential or copyrighted materials. Duplication,
distribution or reproduction is strictly prohibited by law
without written permission of Verrex